Skip to Questions

Ask Us! - We have answers!

Useful Tip: If your question is about fines, fees, holds or other account issues, please include your library card number.

How can I conduct a search for my birth parents?

Last Updated: Apr 23, 2012  |  173 Views
Was this helpful? 0   1


This concerns the request you made earlier this week at the Fremont Main Library regarding your search for information on your birth parents. Please note that adoption records are not public record and are held in strict confidentiality, requiring a court order first in order to be reviewed. That said, I hope the following will help you in your search.

Ownership information on the addresses you provided is available from County Assessor’s Records:

Regarding adoption records, the following paragraph comes from this page Note that a court order is needed before information from adoption files can be released.

"Access to Adoptions Files And Records. Adoption files and records are confidential and not open to the public. While the adoptive parents and the attorney of record at the time of the adoption generally can have access to the files, anyone else, including the person who was adopted, must obtain a court order before any information from such files may be released. Anyone seeking access to Alameda County adoption records must file a request to inspect adoption records. Before ordering release of such files, the judge is required by law to ensure that the person seeking access to information in the adoption files has met a very high standard of demonstrating a critical need for such confidential information. For this reason, requests for access to adoptions files are most often denied. If you are looking for a sibling who was adopted, you must use a Judicial Council form to ask the court to appoint a confidential intermediary to seek access to your sibling’s adoption records. The form can be found at All requests for access to adoption files and records may be filed in any court location, and will be routed to the appropriate judge for review and decision."

From this page

Due to the strict laws regarding the confidentiality of adoption files, adoption records are sealed. Access to adoption records may be obtained by court order only. For more information regarding adoption records, please call (510) 891-6003."

Please also read the CA Dept. of Social Services page on FAQs on Obtaining Information on Your Adoption . There you will find steps you can take to pursue your search and the forms needed and this paragraph:

Forms may be obtained by contacting the CDSS at (916) 651-8088, by writing to the address below, by contacting the licensed public or private adoption agency that handled the adoption, or by clicking here Consent For Contact, Waiver of Rights to Confidentiality For Siblings, Waiver of Rights to Confidentiality For Siblings - Under The Age Of 18, and Adoptions Information Act Statement.

California Department of Social Services
Adoptions Support Unit
744 P Street, MS 8-12-31
Sacramento, CA 95814"
Answered by Marianne LeddaBookmark and Share

Other Answers / Comments (0)

    Ask Us!

    Keep Calm & Read On

    Open Monday-Friday 10 a.m. - 5 p.m. We will answer weekend questions as soon as possible on Monday.




    Browse by Popular Topics

    Account  –  Apps  –  Audiobooks  –  Automotive  –  Book Discussion Groups  –  Book Kit  –  Books  –  Branch  –  Business  –  Catalog  –  Check-in  –  Children's Programs  –  Circulation  –  Computers  –  Databases  –  Discover & Go  –  Donations  –  DVDs  –  ebooks  –  Exams  –  Fines  –  Friends of the Library  –  Genealogy  –  Holds  –  Hours  –  Internet  –  Jobs  –  Language  –  Libraries  –  Library Cards  –  Link+  –  Loan Periods  –  Lost items  –  Mobile Library  –  Museum Passes  –  Obituaries  –  Overdrive  –  Policies  –  Printers  –  Proctoring  –  Reader's Advisory  –  Reading  –  Renewals  –  Search  –  Tests  –  Tutoring  –  Union City  –  Volunteer  –  website  –  Write to Read  
    View All Topics